If you have lost an animal:
Step 1. Call the shelter at (406) 388-9399, ext. 3 right away to report that your pet is missing. Please don’t wait. Here is a copy of the Lost Pet Report [PDF] you can have ready when you call or come in to the shelter.
We want to see you reunited as soon as possible so please don’t wait. Call immediately. You can always call us with the happy news that your animal was found a few minutes later! After 96 hours in the shelter, pets become the property of Heart of the Valley and will be available for adoption. It is heartbreaking to have an owner come to us only to find the pet has been adopted to a new home. We do not call adoptees of unclaimed strays if an owner comes searching after the adoption has been completed.
Step 2. Go to the shelter every day to look at all the animals.
Our staff is dedicated to the animals of Gallatin and Madison Counties and the surrounding areas and would like to see each and every found animal go back home to their owner. We can only do this with your help. Please visit the shelter at least three times a week. Your pet could arrive at any time. Most pets are found within the first week, but reunions have occurred as long as two years after the pet was lost. Don't give up!
Often we have 10 or more lost animals arrive in a day. It is impossible for us to positively identify animals that arrive without tags or ID, so we simply ask owners to come to the shelter to look for themselves. When you arrive at the shelter speak to a Customer Service staff member and let them know you are there to look at the stray animals. Update the lost animal report with additional numbers or information and, if you have not yet completed a lost report, please take the time to do so. Pictures of pets are the best way for us to help you find your lost friend. We do not return photos so make sure you bring us a copy or ask the staff member to make a copy of the photo for our file.
Step 3. Call the Bozeman Daily Chronicle @ 582-2600. They will run a 7-day ad at no charge.
Step 4. Post a flyer with a picture of your pet, if possible, at PetsMart and businesses in your area.
Please notify us when your pet is found. Not only does this help with the updating of the animal’s file but we’d like to hear the good news!
- PLEASE microchip your animal. Most microchips are read easily and we can call you quickly to get your pet home safely. Click here for more information on microchipping your pet .
- Get an I.D. tag for your pet’s collar and keep the information current.
- Make sure that you know and comply with your local animal control laws. Click here for more information on local animal laws.
- Check for any escape routes in your fencing or kennel areas.
- Make sure the dog has "busy toys" if you are gone for any length of time and that he gets sufficient time an.d exercise with you. We have names of many wonderful trainers who can help you. Click here for Montana pet organizations.
- And remember!....... you can always call us at the shelter for further assistance.